Story: Northland places

Kerikeri Mission House

Kerikeri Mission House

The Kerikeri Mission House (sometimes known as Kemp House, after the missionary family that occupied it) is New Zealand’s oldest surviving European building. Built by missionaries and Māori sawyers and carpenters in 1821–22, the simple wooden house was occupied until 1974, when it was presented to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust (now Heritage New Zealand).

Using this item

Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Claudia Orange, 'Northland places - Kerikeri', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/7789/kerikeri-mission-house (accessed 8 August 2020)

Story by Claudia Orange, updated 4 May 2015