Ngāpuhi chief Patuone visited Sydney in 1826 and promoted the Hokianga Harbour as a trading base. As a result, merchants from New South Wales established a timber mill and shipyard there. They named it Deptford after the famous Royal Navy shipyard in England. Several ships were built there in the years before colonisation, including the barque Sir George Murray in 1830.
Using this item
National Library of Australia, Rex Nan Kivell Collection
Watercolour by Augustus Earle
Permission of the National Library of Australia must be obtained before any re-use of this image.