Cement works were established on Limestone Island (Motumatakohe) in Whāngārei Harbour in 1885. In 1916 they moved to Portland, on the shores of the harbour. The expansion of the cement works was one reason for Whāngārei’s growth in the 20th century. Now the island is a reserve – a secure breeding ground for rare and endangered native birds such as the New Zealand dotterel.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.