Story: Building stone

Lyttelton Timeball Station

Lyttelton Timeball Station

Designed as a ‘castle on the hill’, the Lyttelton Timeball Station was built by John Brassington and John Kennington, and opened in 1876. The main rock was red volcanic tuff (compacted and altered ash) from a nearby quarry, with facings of Ōamaru limestone. Unfortunately the tuff was porous and leaked badly, so that the whole building had to be covered with cement stucco soon after it was opened, to make it weatherproof. The Timeball Station was damaged in the September 2010 earthquake, and damaged again beyond repair in the February 2011 earthquake.

Using this item

Heritage New Zealand – Pouhere Taonga

Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Simon Nathan and Bruce Hayward, 'Building stone - Igneous rocks', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/8088/lyttelton-timeball-station (accessed 1 October 2020)

Story by Simon Nathan and Bruce Hayward, published 12 Jun 2006