This well, known as Oil Well No. 4, was drilled in 1934. It was situated at the eastern end of Ngāmotu Beach on the New Plymouth foreshore. The pump pictured is known as a beam pump. These were introduced to Taranaki during the 1950s, and replacing bailing pumps, they helped to boost production. From a depth of 666 metres, crude oil was extracted and refined by Peak Products into petrol, kerosene, mineral turpentine, diesel and fuel oil.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.