Story: Mining and underground resources

Copper mine engine house, Kawau Island (2nd of 2)

Copper mine engine house, Kawau Island

A thin copper lode was discovered on Kawau Island in 1842, and a mine was opened in 1846. Over the next two decades, about 2,500 tonnes of ore was mined and smelted for copper. At the water’s edge are the 20-metre chimney and ruins of the building that housed the steam engine and pump used to keep the mine free of water.

Using this item

Private collection
Photograph by Bruce Thompson

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Simon Nathan, 'Mining and underground resources - Metals known but not mined', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 21 January 2022)

Story by Simon Nathan, published 12 Jun 2006