Story: Mining and underground resources

Prospecting for uranium

Prospecting for uranium

Uranium was discovered in the Buller Gorge in 1955, leading to prospecting in the surrounding area. In this photograph, taken in 1960, geologists and prospectors pose outside the opening to the tunnel that Lime and Marble Ltd called ‘Uranium’s Last Hope’ on the south side of the Buller Gorge. Back (left to right): geologists Reg Sprigg and Bill Watters, and company owner Tas McKee. Front (left to right): prospectors George Sheldon and Tom Cross.

Using this item

Private collection
Photograph by Jock Braithwaite

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Simon Nathan, 'Mining and underground resources - Metals known but not mined', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 26 January 2022)

Story by Simon Nathan, published 12 Jun 2006