A marine engineer operates the engine room controls of the steamship Maori, which carried passengers between the North and South islands from 1906 until 1944. The ship’s coal-fired boilers were converted to oil in 1923. This change reduced the number of engine-room staff required, as well as improving working conditions.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.