This film shows the Meremere thermal power station under construction in 1957. Unlike the hydro dams along the Waikato River, this power station generated electricity through steam produced using local coal as a fuel. Water from the nearby river was used for cooling. The Meremere power station operated from 1958 until 1991.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: Pictorial Parade 66. National Film Unit, 1957
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence