Soon after the Native Bird Protection Society was formed in 1923, Val Sanderson (who was secretary for over 20 years) started to send out regular newsletters. This one, from November 1923, illustrates the society’s involvement with schools, and its lobbying to increase the number of island sanctuaries.
One of the society’s goals was to centralise the management of wildlife. This was achieved over 60 years later, when the Department of Conservation was created in 1987.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, Serials Collection
Reference: S-L 763
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.