The town founded at the junction of the Waipā and Waikato Rivers in 1863 was named Newcastle, after a British notable, but reverted soon after to Ngāruawāhia, the Māori name of the locality. Name reversion was common in North Island districts with a significant Māori presence.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Reference: NZ Map 4301
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.