Story: Shops

Kororāreka, 1845

Kororāreka in the Bay of Islands was an early supply station for whaling ships in the 1830s, and probably the site of New Zealand’s first shops. The three ships in the foreground are all British – from left the HMS Hazard, the brig Victoria, and Matilda, a London whaler.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: C-010-022
Hand-coloured lithograph by George Thomas Clayton

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Shops - Early shops', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/zoomify/21198/kororareka-1845 (accessed 27 September 2020)

Story by Carl Walrond, published 11 Mar 2010, updated 16 Sep 2016