Surveyor C. H. Kettle laid out the town, suburban and country sections in the Ōtākou – later Otago – settlement in 1847. This map shows the country and suburban sections. The largest extent were on the Taieri Plain (centre), the Tokomairiro Plain (below), and the lower reaches of the Clutha River (at bottom, labelled Matou River). The town is marked at the head of Otago Harbour, the heart of present-day Dunedin.
Using this item
Toitū Otago Settlers Museum
Map by C. H. Kettle
Permission of Toitū Otago Settlers Museum must be obtained before any re-use of this image.