The New Edinburgh purchase – later called Otago – is shown in sketch form in this 1844 map. It stretched from the Otago Harbour heads to the south bank of the ‘Matou or Molineux River’ – today known as the Clutha. Cultivable land is shaded pink, and reserves laid out for the Māori sellers are also shown.
Using this item
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence