Private James White of the Fourth Waikato Militia obtained this deed to an acre (0.4 hectares) of land in Hamilton East in 1867. In addition to a town acre, he would have been entitled to 50 acres of land in the country. However, as land outside the towns was often swampy and inaccessible, many military settlers became discouraged and left Waikato within a few years.
Using this item
Waikato Museum - Te Whare Taonga o Waikato
Permission of Waikato Museum – Te Whare Taonga o Waikato must be obtained before any re-use of this image.