Edward Ellison (sixth from left) stands with the Chatham Islands rugby team in Waitangi Reserve in 1927. Dr Ellison succeeded Dr Te Rangi Hīroa as head of the Division of Māori Hygiene formed in 1920 when the Department of Health was restructured. Ellison practised what he preached to Māori by staying involved in sports.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.