Zoom in to read details of this 1867 land grant. It awards Private James White, of the 4th Waikato militia, an acre (0.4 hectares) of land in Hamilton East. As well as this 'town acre', Private White was probably eligible for a grant of 50 acres (20 hectares) of farmland. All of this land had been confiscated by the government from the Māori tribes White and his fellow troops had been fighting. From the late 20th century these confiscations were the subject of Māori claims under the Treaty of Waitangi, although the government ruled that privately owned land could not form a part of any settlement. In 1995 the Tainui people of the Waikato district were awarded a settlement valued at $170 million, including cash and Crown land.
Using this item
Waikato Museum - Te Whare Taonga o Waikato
Permission of Waikato Museum – Te Whare Taonga o Waikato must be obtained before any re-use of this image.