In 1860 Governor Thomas Gore Browne proposed a native council to oversee a fairer system of colonisation. For every block of land purchased from Māori, two-tenths would be conveyed to the original owners and one tenth would be held for them as reserves. The system had a precedent in the New Zealand Company tenths, where one tenth of all land purchased from Māori by the New Zealand Company was supposed to be set aside for Māori use. This map of town blocks in Nelson shows reserves (in green) set aside for Māori in 1842, many of which were later alienated by the Crown. Browne's scheme never eventuated.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: MapColl 834.1953gbbd/1842/Acc.3045
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.