This sheet of the treaty was first taken to Manukau on 20 March 1840 by British army officer Captain William Symonds and James Hamlin of the Church Missionary Society. Just three Ngāti Whātua chiefs agreed to sign it. The sheet was later sent to Kāwhia in Waikato where another missionary, John Whiteley, gathered a further 10 signatures between April and September 1840.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: IA 9/9
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence