As central-city land became tighter some land owners began building semi-detached housing to better utilise space. These 'semis' were constructed in Wellington's Coromandel Street around 1908 as part of the government's workers' (rental) dwelling scheme. One purpose of the scheme was to raise housing standards so workers' dwellings were well built and equipped. The houses had four bedrooms, two living spaces and a (then modern) flush toilet. In 2012 the dwellings were still state rental houses.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.