Ship Cove in the Marlborough Sounds was where Captain James Cook had refitted his ships and rested his crews during his voyages to New Zealand in the 1770s. In 1896 the government had made the area a reserve and on 11 February 1913 this monument was unveiled to commemorate Cook's visits.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives 1913, C-6
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.