When the Triad was launched in Dunedin in April 1893 by the Australian Charles Baeyertz, its subtitle was 'a monthly magazine of music, science & art'. Baeyertz had been a music teacher and concert director; the magazine always remained committed to covering local concerts and included musical news from overseas, but the art and science tended to drop out. After Frank Morton joined as assistant editor in 1908 and Baeyertz moved to Wellington the following year, the Triad did become more interested in literature and politics. However, it never became a really wide-ranging journal of social analysis – and in 1914 Baeyertz moved to Sydney and the magazine followed.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: The triad: a monthly magazine of music, science & art, no. 1, 1893 (S-L-1244-COVER)
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.