The first issue of Birds was produced in 1923 as a newsletter, before becoming a magazine in 1924 (first image). The quarterly was the mouthpiece for the New Zealand Native Bird Protection Society, an early environmental advocacy group. In October 1933 Birds was renamed Forest and Bird, reflecting the recognition that forest habitat was vital to save native birds. Eighteen months later the organisation was renamed the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society. Its magazine continued to be published in 2014 (second image).
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.