Radiata pine dominates Kāingaroa Forest in the central North Island. At 189,000 hectares, it is the most extensive plantation forest in the southern hemisphere. Pine trees were first planted on the Kāingaroa plains in 1900, and the plantation was a state-owned production forest for more than 80 years. It is now privately owned, and in 2007 was carrying its third crop of pine trees.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.