In 2007 John Bluett of Te Pahu had a 255-hectare dairy farm with around 700 Jersey-Friesian cows. Dairy farming began to develop in Waikato after 1881, when refrigerated shipping made it possible to export dairy products. Drainage of swampland, scientific advancements in soil and pasture management, and improvements in the quality of dairy herds helped Waikato dairy farms to become highly profitable in the 20th century.
Using this item
New Zealand Herald
Photograph by Sarah Ivey
Permission of the New Zealand Herald must be obtained before any re-use of this image.