In 1933 the four-place surf canoe was developed by Duke Gillies of Dunedin’s St Clair club. It was a cheaper, more seaworthy alternative to the standard surf boat and was soon used by other clubs. This Whanganui canoe team was battling through the surf at the 1975 competitions held at Lyall Bay, Wellington.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.